Greetings from the third stop on my multi-week jaunt. After returning from Europe, I went to Mombasa (sorry no pictures!) for a conference and then last Saturday came up to Juba. I've also been promising pictures of finished things for a while and so here are a couple more!
Project: Grammy Socks
Pattern: From More Sensational Knitting Socks by Charlene Schurch
Yarn: Gems by Louet in the color Goldilocks
Yardage: 2 Skeins (370 Yards)
Started: October 14, 2007
Finished: November 11, 2007
Yarn Source: Woolcott & Co. in Cambridge, MA
Needles: 2.25 mm (US 1)
Gauge: 8 stitches to the inch
This pair of socks is destined to be for my grandmother for Christmas (assuming of course I ever figure out how to ship things from Kenya!). They are part of my knitting toe up socks without a short row heel series and were actually a pretty quick knit. I wasn't all that crazy about the yarn. While I'm generally a big fan of the Louet lines (especially their linen), I found that the gems yarn was really splitty and I needed to pay close attention to it while I knit. I'm all in favor of paying attention to your knitting, but not because the yarn is splitty. Where I really ran into trouble, however, was when I tried to block them. My grandmother has very small feet. I mean like a size 5.5 or 6. My sock-blockers would have hopelessly stretched out the socks. I ended up using ginger ale bottles (they're rather small), but couldn't get the nice tight blocking that I felt the lace required. Sigh. I had better luck with the next pair!
Project: November Socks
Pattern: All mine!
Yarn: Cotton Multiringel by Lana Grossa
Yardage: 1 Ball (415 Yards)
Started: November 22, 2007
Finished: November 30, 2007
Yarn Source: Knit Happens (absolutely ages ago!)
Needles: 2.5 mm (US 1.5)
Gauge: Mixed. I explain more when I get the pattern up.
This pair of socks (destined for my cousin Sophie) was inspired by the overwhelming need to find something to do with self-striping sock yarn that wouldn't put me to sleep. I can't be more pleased about how they turned out! The lace stretches a lot, so while they were knit over 56 stitches, they stretch to fir an average woman's feet. I even got the stripes to match in the two socks! They were fast; they were fun; and I think she's going to love them!
I'm planning on writing up a pattern for this one as soon as I have a few minutes and posting it here for free. I plan to have a few days off after the Kenyan elections, so the pattern might be a belated Christmas present to everyone!
And just in case you think I'm done with socks for the moment, I have two more going!
The one on the left is knit out of sport-weight wool out of Wendy's toe-up pattern. I started it because I needed mindless knitting and it has certainly fit the bill. It's flying by. The one on the right is going to be a simple Coriolis sock from New Pathways for Sock Knitters. I'm not sure how I feel about the Coriolis sock yet. It seems a little strange on the needles. I think I need to finish it and block it so I can tell how I feel about it.
Anyway, I'm going to try to post again tomorrow (more finished things!), but I have to sign off for now. Miss you all!