I have had a bunch of projects done for a while and to tell you the truth, I really want them officially posted in the finished projects column. It gives me a warm feeling of satisfaction to move items from the "on my needles" category to the "Finished Objects" category.
So without further ado, may I present:
Baby Car Coat and Flying Helmet
(the gracious model is actually my childhood bunny, Ausi. I got him for Easter when I was 4 and he's traveled with me almost ever since)
Project: Baby Car Coat and Flying Helmet (Size 6-9 months)
Pattern: both patterns from the Sublime Baby Collection
Yarn: Rowan Cashsoft DK in color number 508
Yardage: 5 balls for both (about 710 yards)
Started: July 10, 2007
Finished: July 23, 2007 (okay, so I'm lying slightly here. The knitting was done by the 23rd, but I only sew the buttons on las week)
Yarn Source: Knit Happens
Needles: 4.0 and 3.25 mm (US 6 and 3)
Gauge: 5.5 stitches to the inch in stst
Modifications: Yarn Substitutions, but does that even really count as a modification?
This set is a gift to a good friend's sister for her new son. Since the new mother in question is pretty traditional, I went with a pretty traditional design and color. I probably should have gone with the yarn that the pattern actually called for, the Baby Merino DK from the Sublime Yarn line. I used that yarn for a baby sweater back in April and really like it, but I thought the lighter blue would be too washed out, especially considering the parent's coloring.
In general, this was a really easy straightforward knit, without a whole lot of surprises. There was one thing that I didn't realize was going to be a problem until late in the pattern. The button bands on the front of the sweater are knit on size 3 needles; the little button bands on the sleeves are knit on size 6 needles. The different size button hole make it really hard to find buttons that will go through both.
Enough about that one! On to the next!
Pattern: From the Kim Hargreaves Summer Breeze Collection
Yarn: Rowan 4 Ply Cotton in Steel Blue
Yardage: 6 balls (1302 yards)
Started: May 14, 2007
Finished: September 28, 2007
Yarn Source: Came as a kit from the Kim Hargreaves Website
Needles: 3.0 and 2.5 mm (US 2.5 and 1.5)
Gauge: 7 stitches to the inch in stst
I love Kim Hargreaves as a designer. She is on a very short list of designers that I feel seldom, if ever, make a real misstep. I was a devoted follower while she was with Rowan and have gazed longingly at the many kits on her website ever since it launched. I have knit a few of her kits before (Harmony and the missing Peace) and have been delighted by how wearable her designs are. As a devotee of 4 ply knitting (even if it hasn't been much in evidence lately), Kim Hargreaves is a special treat as she is one of the few designers that regularly designs in that weight yarn.
Blossom was one the the kits that I bought for myself as a birthday present last May. I started it pretty promptly, but forgot about it a bit in the craziness that was my summer. I picked it up again a while back and knit through to completion. The actual knitting time was reasonably short, I just didn't persevere as I should have.
The design itself and the pattern were clear and beautifully written. The only sort of annoying thing about it was the garter stitch peplum. Lots and lots of rows of garter stitch over relatively few stitches!
She looks beautiful on (I'll get you a picture of it on me soon) and fits like dream.
Pattern: From RC Woman
Yarn: Rowan Soft Lux in Sable
Yardage: 5 balls (685 yards)
Started: August 17, 2007
Finished: September 23, 2007
Yarn Source: Knit Happens
Needles: 4.5 and 4.0 mm (US 7 and 6)
Gauge: 5.75 stitches to the inch in K2 P2 Rib
Penelope was a project begun out of desperation for something warm when I first got to Kenya. I expected the weather here to be warm, but didn't realize at the time that 1. Nairobi is at 5000 feet and so is colder than many other places at the same latitude and 2. July/August is winter here. So I started Penelope with dreams of actually being warm for a change. She was also a nice balm of simple ribbing. Even the edging on the neck and armholes (K1, Sl1) wasn't too much of a bother. I think I just got into a rhythm and it sewed on smoothly. She just sort of finished herself!
Project: September Socks
Pattern: Badcaul from the "My Fashionable Life" blog
Yarn: Koigu KPPPM
Yardage: 2 balls (350 yards)
Started: September 10, 2007
Finished: October 5, 2007 (oops!)
Yarn Source: Purl in NYC
Needles: 2.75 mm (US 2)
Gauge: 7.5 stitches to the inch in stst
It was bound to happen sometime during my year of socks. I missed the September 30 deadline. In some ways I'm shocked that I didn't miss a deadline sooner, but this month work overwhelmed and I just couldn't keep up. Part of what made this month particularly hard was two work conferences in two weeks and no days off during that mess. I missed the deadline. I set myself the punishment of an additional pair of socks. Sparky (whose mind is much more devious than mine) also set me a task. He has assigned me a (as in ONE) penalty sock. If I finish all my other socks by their deadlines, I can knit that penalty sock into a pair.
The pattern is one that I've had my eye on for a while. It is simple, yet interesting. I actually started another pair of socks in this pattern a while back, but didn't like how it interacted with the yarn. This yarn is part of my effort to explore new colors in knitting. I would normally never choose yellow, but Sparky was with me and he challenged me to try something new. I can't wait to block these on my sock blockers (also in the sea shipment)! I think it worked beautifully and I expect that these socks will rapidly become favorites!
Well, that's it for now. I'll be posting "works in progress" in a day or two. I have a bunch of those too and am busily knitting away!